Friday 21 October 2016

What do I really want?



What do I want in life! I’ve been thinking about this question since last week. An acquaintance of mine genuinely asked me as to what I want in life? So many answers came rushing to me that I almost got a headache and I started rambling on. Then this man asks me “what is the one thing that you truly want in life and you know you deserve it.”

I was stumped. I mean I’ve bucket full things I want in life, but determining the priority among the list was rather painful. I thought about it for a long time and could narrow my bucket list to 5 things but I could not make myself agree on the thing that should take precedence over the others.

 In my childhood, when mommy would force me to go temple hopping with her, I’d make a list of things in my head for a bargaining session with God, but at the most opportune moment, I could never decide which is the one thing I wanted most in life at that point... so I always ended up saying “please help all the strays everywhere”.
I would return home upset thinking ‘Almighty’ won this round of transaction because I could not ask for anything for me. I also promised myself that next time we go temple hopping I’d have the negotiation list ready!


Obviously that has never happened till date and now I’ve stopped going to temples altogether.

So getting back to what I want. I of course want World peace and End of Hunger; but I am a selfish & a materialistic person so yes I also want affluence and good health for my family and a giant SUV (black). Then there are some eeny meeny wishes as well... more like greed. I know they are not right, but what the hell, they are there.






Normally, I do not need much time to make up my mind or take any decisions but this is a never ending failure on my part! I have no more than 3 to 5 regrets in my entire life, and not been able to give precedence to my wants may be one of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment